Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery negative cable, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Disable the Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the tilt lever close out plate.
- Remove the retaining screw from the lower steering column trim covers.
- Tilt the trim cover down and slide rearward in order to disengage the locking tabs.
- Remove the lower steering column trim covers.
Remove the retaining screws from the upper steering column trim cover.
- Lift the trim cover in order to gain access to the lock cylinder access hole.
- Insert the Snap-On A173A bent-tip awl or equivalent, with a 3/32 in (2.5mm) tip, and 3/4 in (20mm) in length, into the access hole of the ignition lock cylinder.
- Turn the ignition lock cylinder to START .
- Use the bent tip in order to push down on the ignition lock cylinder retainer.
Release the ignition lock cylinder to the
- Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the lock cylinder case.
- Insert the ignition lock cylinder through the trim cover in the upper steering column.
- Align the lock cylinder retaining tab and the position tab with the slots in the lock housing.
Completely push the lock cylinder into the lock housing.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the retaining screws to the upper steering trim cover and tighten the screws to 31 inch lbs. (3.5 Nm).
- Match the tab slots on the lower trim cover with the locking tabs on the upper trim cover.
- Tilt the lower trim cover up and slide the lower trim cover until the locking tabs snap into the tab slots.
- Install the lower trim cover screws to the steering column and tighten the screws to 13 inch lbs. (1.5 Nm).
- Install the tilt lever close out plate.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Enable the SIR system, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Connect the battery negative cable.