Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the differential lubricant.
- Remove the torque tube assembly.
- Remove the drive pinion oil seal from the drive pinion housing and discard.
- Remove the pinion housing-to-differential bolts.
- Remove the drive pinion and housing assembly.
- Carefully remove the drive pinion housing shim from the differential.
Remove the O-ring seal from the drive pinion housing and discard.
- Lubricate the O-ring seal with synthetic gear oil, GM P/N 12378514 (Canada P/N 88901045) or equivalent.
- Using the J 44915 tool, install the oil seal to the drive pinion housing.
- Install the O-ring seal to the drive pinion housing
Carefully install the drive pinion housing assembly and shim to the differential carrier.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the pinion housing-to-differential mounting bolts and tighten the bolts to 106 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Lubricate the sealing surfaces of the drive pinion oil seal with synthetic gear oil, GM P/N 12378514 (Canada P/N 88901045) or equivalent.
- Install the torque tube assembly.
- Fill the differential with synthetic gear oil.