- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the starter motor from the vehicle and place on a clean work surface.
- Disconnect the solenoid-to-starter lead wire.
- Remove the solenoid mounting bolts and slide out the solenoid. Pull out the solenoid torsion spring, if so equipped. On some models, it may be necessary to remove the starter assembly through bolts from the yoke to remove the solenoid.
If equipped with shims between the solenoid and starter, remove and place aside.
- Install the solenoid with any adjustment shims.
- Torque the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the starter-to-solenoid electrical lead.
- Install the starter through-bolts if removed.
- Install the starter motor.
- Check for proper operation.