For diesel engines, please refer to the procedures located later in this section.
- Loosen the swivel screw on the shift linkage clamp.
- Set the lever on the transmission into Neutral by moving it counterclockwise to the L1 detent, then clockwise three detent positions to Neutral.
- Place the transmission selector lever (in the car) in Neutral as determined by the stop in the steering column. DO NOT use the indicator pointer for reference.
- Tighten the shift linkage screw.
- Check that the key cannot be removed and that the steering wheel is not locked with the key in Run and the transmission in Reverse. Check that the key can be removed and the transmission linkage is locked when the key is in Lock and the transmission is in Park. Be sure the car will start only in Park and Neutral. If it starts in any gear, the neutral start switch must be adjusted. Start the engine and check for proper shifting in all ranges.
- Disconnect the shift cable from the transmission range selector lever (at the transmission) by removing the nut from the pin (see illustration).
- Set the range selector lever in PARK by rotating the lever clockwise.
- Set the gearshift lever in the car to PARK.
- Unlock the ignition switch and rotate the transmission range selector lever counterclockwise two full detent positions (you'll feel it go into each position).
- Set the gearshift lever in the car to NEUTRAL and move it forward fully against its stop in NEUTRAL.
- Assemble the shift cable and pin to the range selector at the transmission, allowing the cable to position the pin in the slot of the lever. Tighten the nut to 20 ft. lbs.
DETENT (DOWNSHIFT) LINKAGE
Turbo Hydra-Matic 400
Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 transmissions are equipped with an electrical downshift switch operated by the throttle linkage. The switch is located above the gas pedal.
Perform the adjustment with the engine off.
- Push the switch plunger forward until it is flush with the switch housing.
- Push the accelerator pedal to the wide open position to set the switch (engine off).
- Road test the car to check the operation of the switch.
Two types of downshift linkage are used on the Turbo 350. On 1974-75 models, the cable adjustment is made at the accelerator pedal. On 1975-76 models, V8's are adjusted at the accelerator pedal, while the 250-6 engine is adjusted at the carburetor. For 1977 and later models, all engines are adjusted at the carburetor.
ACCELERATOR PEDAL DOWNSHIFT LINKAGE
- Hold the adjustment sleeve in place.
- Pull the cable as far as possible.
- Press the accelerator pedal to the wide open position. The cable will adjust.
- Raise the "snap-lock" with a small prytool or other tool. See the illustration.
- With the engine off, hold the carburetor lever in the wide-open position.
- Push the "snap-lock" downward until it is flush with the rest of the cable, then release the carburetor lever.