The neutral safety switch prevents the engine from being started in any transmission position except Neutral or Park. The switch is located on the upper side of the steering column under the instrument panel on column shift cars and inside the shift console on floor shift models.Column Shift
- Place the shift lever in Neutral.
- Loosen the switch securing screws. Remove the console first if necessary.
- Move the switch until you can insert a 0.090 in. gauge pin into the hole in the switch and through to the alignment hole.
- Tighten the screws and remove the pin.
- Step on the brake pedal and check to see that the engine will only start in Neutral or Park.
- Place the shifter in Park.
- Remove the center console.
- Loosen the switch securing screws.
- Fit a 0.090 in. gauge pin into the outer hole on the switch cover.
- Move the switch until the gauge pin drops into the alignment hole on the inner slide. Tighten the switch securing screws.
- Remove the gauge pin. Check to make sure the car will only start in Neutral or Park.
- Install the center console.