REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
If excessive camshaft wear is found, or if the engine is being completely rebuilt, the camshaft bearings should be replaced.
The front and rear bearings should be removed last, and installed first. Those bearings act as guides for the other bearings and pilot.
- Drive the camshaft rear plug from the block.
- Assemble the removal puller with its shoulder on the bearing to be removed. Gradually tighten the puller nut until the bearing is removed.
- Remove the remaining bearings, leaving the front and rear for last. To remove these, reverse the position of the puller, so as to pull the bearings towards the center of the block. Leave the tool in this position, pilot the new front and rear bearings on the installer, and pull them into position.
- Return the puller to its original position and pull the remaining bearings into position.
Ensure that the oil holes align when installing the bearings. This is very important!
- Replace the camshaft rear plug, and stake it into position.