REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the battery.
- Drain the radiator.
- Use a prybar to hold the fan in place, then unfasten the fan and remove the fan from the pulley.
- Loosen the alternator and other accessories at their adjusting points, and remove the fan belts from the fan pulley.
- Remove the fan pulley.
- Remove any accessory brackets that might interfere with water pump removal.
- Disconnect the hose from the water pump inlet and the heater hose from the nipple on the pump. Remove the bolts, pump assembly and old gasket from the timing chain cover. On 151 four and 250 six engines, remove the pump by pulling it straight out of the block.
- Check the pump shaft bearings for end-play or roughness in operation. Water pump bearings usually emit a squealing sound with the engine running when the bearings need to be replaced. Replace the pump if the bearings are not in good shape or have been noisy.
- To install, make sure the gasket surfaces on the pump and timing chain cover are clean. Install the pump assembly with a new gasket. Tighten the bolts uniformly. Coat the threaded area of the 151 and 250 bolts with sealer.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal. Fill the cooling system and check for leaks at the pump and hose joints. Make sure all of the accessory belts are properly tensioned.