REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
- Support the outer end of the lower control arm with a jack.
- Remove the wheel.
- Separate the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle as described earlier under "Upper Ball Joint Replacement."
- Remove the control arm shaft-to-frame nuts.
Tape the shims together and identify them so that they can be installed in the positions from which they were removed.
- Remove the bolts which attach the control arm shaft to the frame and remove the control arm. Note the positions of the bolts.
- Install in the reverse order of removal. Make sure that the shaft-to-frame bolts are installed in the same position they were in before removal and that the shims are in their original positions.
- Use free running nuts (not locknuts) to pull serrated bolts through the frame. Then install the locknuts. Tighten the thinner shim pack first.
- After the car has been lowered to the ground, bounce the front end to center the bushings and then tighten the bushing collar bolts to 45 ft. lbs. Tighten the shaft-to-frame bolts to 90 ft. lbs. The control arm shaft nuts are tightened to 75 ft. lbs.