REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On some models, individual instruments can be replaced without removing the entire cluster. The procedure below will vary slightly depending on the year of car and models.Lemans, Grand Am and Grand Prix
- Disconnect the battery and remove the lower and upper instrument panel trim plates.
- On all models except console shift, remove the automatic transmission shift indicator cable.
- Remove the cluster retaining screws, disconnect the speedometer cable and printed circuit connector (all except Grand Prix) and remove the cluster.
- Reverse the above procedure for installation.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Remove the three screws retaining the heater or A/C control panel to the instrument panel carrier.
- Remove the radio control knobs, bezels and nuts, and remove the radio.
- Remove the screws at the top and bottom of the carrier securing it to the instrument panel pad and cowl brackets.
- Disconnect the shift indicator cable at the shift bowl (if automatic transmission), and remove the two steering column-to-instrument panel nuts.
- Carefully lower the steering column from the instrument panel and protect it with a shop towel or other padding.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable from under the dash.
- Tilt the carrier and cluster assembly forward, disconnect the printed circuit and cluster ground connectors, and all remaining wiring.
- Place the carrier assembly on a bench. Remove the wire harness and carrier assembly (4 screws) and set it aside. Remove the cluster.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal. It is wise to keep all screws and nuts slightly loose when reassembling each sub-assembly, to properly align the components; when you are sure the parts are properly positioned, tighten all fasteners evenly.