The door locks use a fork bolt lock design, which includes a safety interlock feature. The door is securely closed when the door lock fork bolt engages the striker bolt.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Never attempt to make repairs to the lock actuator assembly, replace the assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the door trim, then detach the insulator pad, if equipped and the inner panel water deflector enough to access the door lock.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the actuator assembly. If equipped with vacuum operated power locks, disconnect the vacuum line from the actuator assembly.
- Remove the electric lock actuator by performing the following procedures:
- Using a center punch, drive the center pins out of pop rivets.
- Using a 1 / 4 in. drill bit, drill the heads off of the pop rivets.
- Disconnect the lock actuator connecting rod and remove the lock actuator through the access hole.
On some vehicles, it may be necessary to remove the inside handle, the lock and the connecting rod as a unit.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. When attaching the power door lock actuator to the door, use 1 / 4 in. x 1 / 2 in. pop rivets or nuts and bolts.