All models are equipped with a foot-operated, ratchet-type parking brake. A cable assembly connects this pedal to an intermediate cable by means of an equalizer. Adjustment is made at the equalizer. The intermediate cable connects with two rear cables and each of these cables enters a rear wheel.ADJUSTMENT
The need for parking brake adjustment is indicated if parking brake pedal travel is more than 15 "clicks" under heavy foot pressure.
- Depress the parking brake pedal exactly two ratchet clicks.
- Jack up the car and safely support it with jackstands.
- Tighten the adjusting nut until the left rear wheel can just be turned rearward using two hands, but is locked when forward rotation is attempted.
- With the mechanism totally disengaged, the rear wheels should turn freely in either direction with no brake drag.
It is very important that the parking brake cables are not adjusted too tightly, causing brake drag.
- Remove the jackstands and lower the car.