REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the center pad assembly, either by removing the screws or by gently prying the pad off. Lift up on the pad and disconnect the horn wire by pushing in on the insulator and turning counterclockwise.
- If no factory marks are visible, matchmark the steering wheel to the shaft.
- Remove the steering wheel nut retainer and attaching nut. Using a puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Align the marks on the wheel hub to the marks on the steering shaft.
- Install the steering wheel, retainer and nut, and tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs.
When the mark on the steering-wheel hub and the steering shaft are lined up, the wheel spokes should be horizontal as the car is driven straight ahead. If they are not horizontal it may be necessary to adjust the tie rod ends until the steering wheel is properly aligned.
- Install the horn wire in the cam tower, push in and turn clockwise. Align the pad assembly into position and either press into place or install the screws. Connect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- Remove the pad assembly by either removing the screws or prying the pad off. Disconnect the bayonet-type connector at the horn wire by pushing in and turning counter-clockwise.
- Push the locking lever counterclockwise until the full release position is obtained.
- Scribe a mark on the plate assembly where the two attaching screws attach the plate assembly to the locking lever. Remove the two screws.
- Unscrew the plate assembly and remove.
- Remove the steering wheel nut retainer and nut. Using a puller, remove the wheel.
- Install a 5 / 16 in.X18 set screw into the upper shaft at the full extended position and lock.
- Install the steering wheel, aligning the scribe mark on the hub with the slash mark on the end of the shaft. Make sure that the unattached end of the horn upper contact assembly is seated flush against the top of the horn contact assembly.
- Install the nut on the upper steering shaft, along with the nut retainer. Torque to 30 ft. lbs.
- Remove the set screw installed earlier.
- Install the plate assembly and tighten finger-tight.
- Position the locking lever in the vertical position and move the lever counterclockwise until the holes in the plate align with the holes in the lever. Install the attaching screws.
- Align the pad assembly with the holes in the steering wheel and install the retaining screws. Connect the negative battery cable. Check to see that the locking lever securely locks the wheel travel and that the wheel travel is free in the unlocked position.