REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the cotter pins and nuts from the tie-rod end studs.
- Tap on the steering arm near the tie-rod end (use another hammer as backing) and pull down on the tie-rod, if necessary, to free it.
- Remove the inner stud in the same manner as the outer.
- Loosen the clamp bolts and unscrew the ends if they are being replaced.
- Lubricate the tie-rod end threads with chassis grease if they were removed. Install each end assembly an equal distance from the sleeve.
- Ensure that the tie-rod end stud threads and nut are clean. Install new seals and install the studs into the steering arms and relay rod.
- Install the stud nuts. Tighten the inner and outer end nuts to 35 ft. lbs. Install new cotter pins.
- Have a reputable repair shop check and adjust the toe-in if necessary.
Before tightening the sleeve clamps, ensure that the clamps are positioned so that adjusting sleeve slot is covered by the clamp. Never back nut off to insert cotter pin; always tighten it until the pin can fit through the castellations.