Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then wait 3 minutes before starting work.
Remove the access panel (A) from the steering wheel, then disconnect the driver's airbag 4P connector (B) from the cable reel.
- Using a TORX® T30 bit, remove the two TORX® bolts (A).
Disconnect the horn switch connector (1P), then remove the driver's airbag (B).
- Disconnect the connector (A) from the cable reel, then remove the steering wheel nut (B).
Align the front wheels straight ahead, then remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller. Do not tap on the steering wheel or the steering column shaft when removing the steering wheel.
Remove the column cover screws (A), then remove the column covers (B, C).
Disconnect the dashboard wire harness 4P connector (A) from the cable reel 4P connector (B), then disconnect the dashboard wire harness 13P connector (C) from the cable reel (D).
Release the lock tab (A) under the cable reel connector with a 90 º hook shaped tool (B). Slide the tool below the cable reel connector just above the lock tab. Release the lower lock tab (C), and slide the cable reel off the column.
- Before installing the steering wheel, align the front wheels straight ahead.
Set the cancel sleeve (A) so that the projections (B) are aligned vertically.
- Carefully install the cable reel (A) on the steering column shaft. Then connect the 13P connector (B) to the cable reel, and connect the 4P connector (C) to the dashboard wire harness 4P connector (D).
- Install the steering column covers.
- If necessary, center the cable reel.
Position the two tabs (A) of the turn signal canceling sleeve (B) as shown, and install the steering wheel on to the steering column shaft, making sure the steering wheel hub (C) engages the pins (D) of the cable reel and tabs of the canceling sleeve. Do not tap on the steering wheel or steering column shaft when installing the steering wheel.
- Align the projections on the cable reel with the holes on the steering wheel, and install the steering wheel with a new steering wheel nut, then reconnect the connector.
- Place the new driver's airbag (A) in the steering wheel, and secure it with new TORX® bolts (B). tighten to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the cable reel to the driver's airbag 4P connector (A), then install the access panel (B) on the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Enter the anti-theft codes for the audio system and the navigation system (if equipped).
- Set the clock on vehicles without navigation.
- Perform the power window control unit reset procedure.
After installing the airbag, confirm proper system operation:
- Turn the ignition switch ON ; the SRS indicator should come on for about 6 seconds and then go off.
- Make sure the steering wheel switches work properly.
- Make sure the steering wheel is centered.
- Make sure the horn and turn signal switches work properly.
- Make sure the horn button works.