If the A/C compressor is marginally operable, run the engine at idle speed, and let the air conditioning work for a few minutes, then shut the engine off.
NOTERefer to the A/C precautions located earlier in this section. Only a MVAC-trained, EPA-certified, automotive technician should service the A/C system or its components.
- Recover the refrigerant with a recovery/recycling/charging station.
- Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and the navigation system, then write down the XM radio channel presets.
- Remove the alternator.
Disconnect the A/C condenser fan connector (A), then remove the A/C compressor clutch connector (B) and the wire harness clips (C). Loosen the lower mounting bolt, then remove the upper mounting bolts and the condenser fan shroud (D). Be careful not to damage the radiator fins when removing the condenser fan
Disconnect the connector (A) from the A/C compressor clutch. Remove the bolt and the nut, then disconnect the suction line (B) and the discharge line (C) from the A/C compressor. Plug or cap the lines immediately after disconnecting them to avoid moisture and dust contamination.
- Remove the mounting bolts and the A/C compressor. Be careful not to damage the radiator fins when removing the A/C compressor.
- Install the compressor in the reverse order of removal, noting the following:
- Tighten the compressor mounting bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Inspect the A/C lines for any signs of contamination.
- If you're installing a new A/C compressor, you must calculate the amount of refrigerant oil to be removed from it. A new A/C compressor comes with a full charge of oil.
- Replace the O-rings with new ones at each fitting, and apply a thin coat of refrigerant oil before installing them. Be sure to use the correct O-rings for HFC-134a (R-134a) to avoid leakage.
Use refrigerant oil (DENSO ND-OIL 8) for HFC-134a DENSO piston type A/C compressor only.
WARNINGTo avoid contamination, do not return the oil to the container once dispensed, and never mix it with other refrigerant oils. Immediately after using the oil, reinstall the cap on the container, and seal it to avoid moisture absorption. Do not spill the refrigerant oil on the vehicle; it may damage the paint; if the refrigerant oil contacts the paint, wash it off immediately.
- Evacuate and charge the system.
- Enter the anti-theft codes for the radio and the navigation system, then enter the customer's XM radio channel presets.
- Perform the power window control unit reset procedure.
- Set the clock.