Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions.
- Make sure the anti-theft codes for the audio system and navigation system (if equipped) are available.
Disconnect the negative battery cable
- Remove the ignition coils.
- Remove the valve cover.
Remove the rocker arm adjusting screws, as shown.
Remove the rocker arm assembly as follows:
- Unscrew the rocker shaft bolts 2 turns at a time in a criss-cross pattern to avoid damaging the valves or rocker assembly.
- Do not remove the rocker shaft bolts. These bolts keep the springs and rocker arms on the shafts.
- Loosen the valve adjuster locknuts and screws so that all valves are closed.
Remove the rocker arms and shafts from the vehicle as an assembly.
NOTEKeep all valvetrain components in order for assembly.
Remove the rocker arms and springs from the rocker arm shafts.
- Assemble the rocker arms and springs to the rocker arm shafts in their original positions.
Install the rocker arm assemblies. Tighten the bolts in sequence and in multiple passes to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Adjust the valve clearance.
- Install the valve covers.
- Remove the ignition coils and torque the retainers to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Remove the ignition coil covers.
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Enter the anti-theft codes for the audio system and the navigation system (if equipped).
- Set the clock on vehicles without navigation.
- Perform the power window control unit reset procedure.