Adjust the valves only when the cylinder head temperature is less than 100°F (38°C).
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions.
- Make sure the anti-theft codes for the audio system and navigation system (if equipped) are available.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air intake tube.
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Remove the valve cover.
- Rotate the crankshaft so that the valves to be adjusted are closed and the rocker arm is contacting the camshaft lobe base circle.
Measure the valve clearance. If adjustment is necessary, loosen the locknut and turn the adjusting screw as necessary to achieve the correct valve clearance.
- After adjustment, tighten the locknuts to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the valve cover.
- Install the intake manifold.
- Install the air intake tube.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Enter the anti-theft codes for the audio system and the navigation system (if equipped).
- Set the clock on vehicles without navigation.
- Perform the power window control unit reset procedure.
- Start the engine and check for proper operation.