Honda Ridgeline 2006-2008
- Connect a Honda Diagnostic System (HDS), or equivalent OBD-II compliant scan tool to the data link connector (DLC), and check for DTCs. If a DTC is present, diagnose and repair the cause before inspecting the ignition timing.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
- Check the idle speed, as outlined in the Fuel System Section.
- Select ''SCS'' mode using the HDS.
Connect the timing light to the No. 1 ignition coil harness.
Aim the light toward the pointer (A) on the timing belt cover. Check the ignition timing under a no load condition (headlights, blower fan, rear window defogger, and air conditioner are turned off). The ignition timing should be 8-12°BTDC (red mark B) at idle in Park or Neutral.
- If the ignition timing differs from the specification, check the cam timing. If the cam timing is OK, update the powertrain control module (PCM) if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good PCM, then recheck. If the system works properly, and the PCM was substituted, replace the original PCM.
- Disconnect the HDS and the timing light.