Removal & Installation
This procedure is to be performed with the alternator removed from the vehicle. The CS-130 alternators are non-serviceable and must be replaced as an assembly.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the alternator from the vehicle.
- Make scribe marks on the end housing frames to make reassembly easier.
- Remove the 4 through-bolts and separate the end frame assembly from the rectifier end frame assembly.
- Remove the 3 stator attaching nuts and remove the stator from the end frame.
Unsolder the connections, remove the 2 regulator attaching screws and separate the regulator and brush holder from the vehicle.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread sealer are identified. Do not use paints, lubricants or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners.
- Assemble the regulator, brush holder and connector to the end frame. Securely solder the connection between the regulator and brush holder, and the connection between the regulator and brush strap.
- Assemble the stator to the end frame.
- Install the halves of the alternator, ensuring the end frames are aligned as previously removed. Secure the halves with the 4 through-bolts. After the alternator is assembled, remove the brush retainer.
- Install the alternator.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.