At this time the manufacturer does not provide removal and installation procedures for this component. The following procedure is a guideline and may differ from the vehicle you are servicing.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
NOTEFor vehicles equipped with OnStar (RPO UE1), with battery backup, the backup battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited ONStar functionality in the event of a main battery power disruption to the OnStar module (VCIM). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power should be allowed to time out or be disabled by opening the driver-s side door before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the module in any way while the ignition is ON or with the retained accessory power activated may cause activation of the OnStar backup battery system and will discharge and permanently damage the backup battery. Once the backup battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The backup battery is not rechargeable and once it is activated, it must be replaced.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the instrument panel trim plate, as necessary.
- Remove the ashtray assembly, as necessary.
- Disconnect the cable at the module.
- Pull the component forward.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors.
- Remove the control head, with the cable attached.
Remove the cable from the control head.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.