Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the upper fan shroud.
- Remove nuts and fan clutch with cooling fan.
Remove spacer if equipped, and if necessary remove bolts connecting cooling fan and clutch.
NOTEKeep the fan in an upright position during repairs to prevent the silicone fluid from leaking out.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread sealer are identified. Do not use paints, lubricants or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
WARNINGInspect fan blade for bends or damage. Do not use or attempt to repair a fan blade which has been bent or damaged. It is essential that a fan blade remains in balance to prevent failure and possible injury.
- Attach cooling fan to the fan clutch, if removed, with bolts. Tighten bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Place spacer, if equipped, and attach fan assembly to the cooling pump. Be sure to align reference marks on the fan clutch and coolant pump hub.
- Tighten nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
Install and adjust the drive belt.
- Attach upper fan shroud and tighten screws to 53 inch lbs. (5.8 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.