Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain cooling system into a suitable container. Be sure to properly dispose of used coolant.
Remove the drive belt(s).
Remove the intake manifold.
- Remove the exhaust manifolds.
- Remove the diverter valve, if equipped.
- Disconnect the power steering pump, generator, and/or air conditioning brackets, as necessary, and position aside.
- Remove the rocker arm cover or valve cover.
- Tag and disconnect spark plug wires from the spark plugs. Disconnect ground strap and/or negative battery cable from cylinder head as applicable.
- Loosen cylinder head bolts gradually and in 3 passes.
- Clean dirt from cylinder head and adjacent area to avoid getting dirt into engine.
- If necessary, remove rocker arm assemblies and lift out pushrods.
Remove cylinder head.
- Cylinder heads using a steel gasket should have both sides of the new gasket coated with a good sealer. The coating should be thin and even. Do not use sealer on composite type gaskets.
- Place gasket over dowel pins.
Place cylinder head over dowel pins and gasket.
- Coat the threads of the cylinder head bolts with sealing compound, part 1052080 or equivalent Install bolts finger-tight.
- Following the proper torque sequence, tighten the cylinder head bolts, in 3 passes, to 68 ft. lbs. (92 Nm).
- If removed, position pushrods and attach rocker arm assemblies. Adjust the valves.
- Connect spark plug wires, and the body ground strap.
- Attach rocker arm cover or valve cover.
- Attach power steering pump, generator and/or air conditioning brackets if removed. Install the diverter valve, the oil level indicator and tube, if removed.
- Attach the intake and exhaust manifolds.
- Attach both ends of the negative battery to cylinder head cable.
- Attach fuel filler cap, add coolant and inspect the engine for fluid leakage.
- Change the engine oil and filter.
- Start the engine and set the idle and timing to specification.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.