Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container and remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the throttle body assembly, if necessary.
- Disconnect the ECM engine control harness and lay it aside.
- Disconnect the upper radiator hose at thermostat housing and heater hose at the manifold.
- Remove thermostat housing and gasket, if necessary.
- Disconnect all necessary electrical connections.
- Disconnect fuel pipe clips at AIR pump bracket and intake manifold.
- Disconnect accelerator and TV cables.
- Remove the spark plug wires at the distributor cap. Mark 1 wire and location to assist in reinstallation.
- Remove the EGR valve and EGR solenoid valve, as applicable.
- Remove the distributor cap and mark the position of the rotor, then remove the distributor. Remove the coil and bracket as required.
- Remove the accessory mounting brackets, as required.
- Remove the coolant temperature sensor.
Remove the manifold bolts, studs and remove the intake manifold. Remove and discard the intake manifold gaskets.
- Thoroughly clean the intake manifold and cylinder block surfaces to remove any trace of gasket material or sealant.
- Place gasket and seals on cylinder heads and block, apply a thin bead of RTV sealer 1052289 or equivalent, to the front and rear of cylinder block. Extend the RTV bead 1 / 2 inch up each cylinder head to seal and retain gasket.
Install the intake manifold, manifold retaining bolts and studs taking care not to dislodge the gaskets and seals. Tighten bolts and studs in proper sequence, first to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm) and then to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Install coolant temperature sensor.
- Attach accessory mounting brackets, if removed. Tighten compressor brace to manifold nut to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm), compressor brace to compressor nut to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm) and/or generator to brace nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Install distributor, align rotor with mark and attach cap. Attach coil and bracket if removed.
- Install the EGR valve and EGR solenoid valve, as applicable.
- Attach the spark plug wires to the distributor cap in proper firing order.
- Connect the accelerator and TV cables.
- Connect fuel pipe clips to AIR pump bracket and intake manifold.
- Connect all necessary electrical connections.
- Install the thermostat housing and gasket, if removed. Connect the upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing and heater hose at the manifold.
- Connect the ECM engine control harness.
- Install the throttle body assembly, if removed.
- Install the air cleaner and connect the negative battery cable.
- Replace fuel filler cap and add engine coolant.
- Start the engine and inspect for leaks. Adjust timing if necessary.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.