Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the wire connectors at the wiper motor and remove the fuse cover.
- Remove the distributor cap and wires.
- Remove the transmission and oil dipsticks.
- Remove the upper fan shroud.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the engine oil. Be sure to properly dispose of used oil.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifolds. Remove the flywheel cover.
- Disconnect the transmission fluid cooler lines at the clips on the oil pan.
- Remove the transmission dipstick tube and linkage as required.
- Remove the starter motor assembly.
- If equipped with an oil level sensor, it must be disconnected and removed to prevent possible damage to the oil level sensor, oil pump pickup screen and pipe.
- Disconnect the engine mount through-bolts and safely raise and support the front of the engine only as far as necessary to remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pan attaching nuts, bolts and reinforcement.
Place the crankshaft timing mark to the 6 o'clock position in order to move the crankshaft out of the way, then remove the pan and discard the old gasket.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces. Apply a small amount of 1052914 or equivalent sealer to the front and rear cover to cylinder block junctions and continue bead 1 inch in either direction from the radius of the cavity.
- Install the new gasket on the oil pan, and position the oil pan in place with loosely installed nuts, bolts and reinforcement.
- Lower the engine.
- Tighten the oil pan nuts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm) and bolts to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Connect the engine mount through-bolts.
- If equipped, install the oil level sensor and electrical connection.
- Install the starter motor assembly.
- Connect the transmission fluid cooler lines to the clips on the oil pan and install the transmission dipstick tube and linkage.
- Install the flywheel cover. Connect the exhaust pipe to the manifolds
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the upper fan shroud.
- Install the transmission and oil dipsticks.
- Install the distributor cap and wires. Install the fuse cover and connect the wiper motor wiring connector.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Reconnect the battery cable, refill crankcase with proper engine oil and check engine for leaks.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.