Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
NOTEFor vehicles equipped with OnStar (RPO UE1), with battery backup, the backup battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited ONStar functionality in the event of a main battery power disruption to the OnStar module (VCIM). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power should be allowed to time out or be disabled by opening the driver-s side door before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the module in any way while the ignition is ON or with the retained accessory power activated may cause activation of the OnStar backup battery system and will discharge and permanently damage the backup battery. Once the backup battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The backup battery is not rechargeable and once it is activated, it must be replaced.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the power steering fluid. Be sure to properly dispose of used fluid.
- Drain the cooling system, as required. Be sure to properly dispose of used coolant.
- Remove the pump drive belt.
- On 1994-1996 vehicles, remove the engine cooling fan pulley bracket, if the vehicle is equipped with a mechanical fan. Remove the heater hoses from the water pump. Plug the openings. Remove the hose clips from the power steering pump.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely, as required.
- Position a catch pan under the pump assembly to catch used fluid. Be sure to properly dispose of used fluid.
- Disconnect and plug the fluid lines.
- On 1991-1993 vehicles disconnect the electrical connector from the pressure switch assembly.
- On 1994-1996 vehicles, remove the fluid reservoir from the pump.
- Remove the pump bracket bolts/screws and alternator bolt/screw.
Remove the pump with the pulley.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to fill the system with the proper grade and type power steering fluid. Bleed the system.
- Be sure to fill the cooling system with the proper grade and type coolant. Bleed the system.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.