When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system. Be sure to properly dispose of used coolant.
- Remove the upper fan shroud.
- Disconnect the radiator inlet and outlet hoses.
- Disconnect and plug the transmission fluid and/or oil cooler lines from the radiator.
- Disconnect the low fluid sensor connector, if equipped.
- Disconnect the coolant reservoir hose from the radiator.
Disconnect the heater hose, if applicable, and remove the radiator from the vehicle.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread sealer are identified. Do not use paints, lubricants or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners.
- Position radiator in place making sure the radiator is seated on the insulators.
- Connect the coolant recovery hose to the filler neck.
- Connect the transmission fluid lines to the radiator and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Connect the engine oil cooler lines to the radiator, if equipped, and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Connect the radiator inlet and outlet hoses and clamps to the radiator.
- Connect the heater hose and clamp to the radiator.
- If equipped, connect the low coolant sensor.
- Connect the upper and lower fan shrouds.
- Connect the negative battery cable, add coolant and check system for leaks.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.