Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
Drain the cooling system to below the thermostat level.
CAUTIONWhen draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Properly dispose of used coolant.
- Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
Remove the two retaining bolts or studs from the thermostat housing and remove the thermostat. Discard the gasket.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Use a new gasket when replacing the thermostat.
- Fill and bleed the cooling system.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.