Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEDisconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on-board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
NOTEIf working near and/or around the SRS system and components, be sure to properly disable the SRS system. See disarming/arming the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the drive belt.
Remove the engine cooling fan.
Drain the cooling system. Be sure to properly dispose of used coolant.
CAUTIONWhen draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container.
- Unfasten the heater bypass and radiator hose from the pump, as equipped.
- If required, remove the alternator, air conditioning compressor and/or power steering brackets.
Remove the bolts securing the water pump and remove the pump.
- Clean cylinder block and coolant pump gasket surfaces and discard old gaskets.
- Place new gaskets on coolant pump and mounting bolts and attach coolant pump making sure gaskets remain in proper position. Tighten mounting bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- If removed, connect the alternator, air conditioning compressor and/or power steering brackets.
- Fasten heater bypass and radiator hose, as equipped, to the pump.
Attach coolant pump pulley and serpentine belt to the coolant pump.
WARNINGInspect fan blade for bends or damage. Do not use or attempt to repair a fan blade which has been bent or damaged. It is essential that a fan blade remains in balance to prevent failure and possible injury.
Attach cooling fan as follows:
- Attach cooling fan to the fan clutch, if removed, with bolts. Tighten bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Place spacer, if equipped, and attach fan assembly to the cooling pump. Be sure to align reference marks on the fan clutch and coolant pump hub.
- Tighten nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Attach upper and lower fan shrouds and tighten screws to 53 inch lbs. (5.8 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable and add coolant to engine.
- Start engine and check for leaks.
- Using the GM diagnostic scan tool or aftermarket equivalent reprogram the necessary systems and components. Be sure to follow the scan tool manufacturer-s directions.