Removal & Installation
- Discharge the A/C system using a proper refrigerant recovery/recycling station.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the air cleaner intake duct.
- Drain the engine cooling system.
- Remove the upper radiator shroud, then disengage the oil and transmission cooler lines at the radiator.
- Tag and disengage all hoses from the radiator.
- Remove the radiator and air conditioning condenser from the vehicle.
- Remove the fan assembly.
- Carefully release the belt tension, then remove the serpentine drive belt.
- If equipped, unfasten the pencil brace at the coolant pump, then remove the coolant pump.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley and damper.
- If necessary, remove the flywheel inspection cover.
- Remove the front cover.
- Unfasten the balance shaft gear bolt, then remove the gear.
- Remove the timing chain and sprockets.
- Remove the balance shaft retainer.
- Remove the intake manifold assembly.
- Remove the lifter retainer.
- Remove the balance shaft and front bearing by gently driving them out using a soft faced mallet.
Using a balance shaft service kit J-38834 or its equivalent, remove the balance shaft rear bearing.
NOTEThe balance shaft and drive and driven gears are serviced only as a set, including the gear bolt. The balance shaft and front bearing are serviced as a package.
WARNINGThe front bearing must not be removed from the balance shaft
- Inspect the balance shaft gears for damage, such as nicks and burrs.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces. Using solvent, clean the oil and grease from the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Lubricate the balance shaft rear bearing with clean engine oil, then install the bearing using tool J-38834 or its equivalent.
- Lubricate the balance shaft with clean engine oil, then install the balance shaft into the block.
- Install the balance shaft bearing retainer and bolts. Tighten the bolts to 124 inch. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Install the balance shaft driven gear and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) plus an additional 35° using a torque/angle meter.
- Install the lifter retainer, then rotate the balance shaft by hand and check that there is clearance between the balance shaft and the lifter retainer.
- Temporarily install the balance shaft drive gear so that the timing mark on the gear points straight up, then remove the drive gear, turn the balance shaft so the timing mark on the driven gear is facing straight down.
- Install the drive gear and make sure the timing marks on both gears line up (dot-to-dot).
- Install the drive gear retaining bolt and tighten to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
- Install the intake manifold assembly.
- Install the timing chain and sprocket assemblies.
- Install the front cover, seal, bolts and the oil pan assembly.
- Install the flywheel inspection cover, then using tool J-39046 or its equivalent engage the crankshaft pulley and damper.
- Install the coolant pump, then engage the pencil brace to the pump.
- Install the serpentine drive belt.
- Install the fan assembly.
- Install the air conditioning condenser and the radiator assemblies. Engage all hoses removed from the radiator.
- Engage the oil and transmission cooler lines at the radiator, then install the radiator shroud.
- Install the air cleaner assembly and connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the crankcase with the correct grade and amount of oil.
- Fill the cooling system with coolant.
- Start the vehicle and check for leaks.
- Charge the A/C system.