Mechanical (Belt Driven) Engine Cooling Fan
Removal & Installation
4.2L & 5.3L Engines
This procedure requires the use of the following special tools, or their equivalents:
- Remove the hood latch support.
- Disconnect the transmission cooler lines at the engine and release the lines from the fan shroud.
- Remove the 2 upper bolts on the fan shroud.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Reposition the upper inlet radiator hose clamp using Special tool J 38185, Hose Clamp Pliers, or equivalent.
- Remove the upper inlet radiator hose from the radiator.
- Remove the electrical connector from the shroud.
- Position the water pump so the bolts are aligned in the vertical.
- Remove the fan hub nut from the water pump shaft in a counterclockwise rotation. Using Special Tool J 46406, Fan Clutch Remover and Installer in order to secure the water pump pulley, loosen the cooling fan hub nut from the water pump shaft.
- Unclip the fan shroud from the radiator at the side panels.
- Tilt the radiator and the condenser forward.
- Lift the fan and the shroud up and out towards the engine to release the fan from the radiator to clear the radiator inlet.
- Install the fan and the shroud onto the lip of the radiator bottom.
- Install the 2 bolts into the upper fan shroud and tighten. Tighten the bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connector.
- Clip the fan shroud to the radiator at the side panels (1).
- Using the Fan Clutch Remover and Installer tool, secure the water pump pulley, install the fan nut to the water pump shaft in a clockwise rotation. Tighten the fan hub nut to 41 ft. lbs. (56 Nm).
- Install the transmission cooler lines to the engine and clip into the fan shroud.
- Install the hood latch support.
- Install the upper inlet radiator hose to the radiator.
- Reposition the upper inlet radiator hose clamp using the hose clamp pliers.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the upper radiator shroud and, if desired for additional clearance, remove the radiator from the vehicle.
NOTEAlthough it is not necessary in most cases, the radiator may be removed from the vehicle for easier access to the fan retainers. If the radiator is left in place, use extra caution to prevent damage to the fragile radiator fins.
Remove the fan assembly attaching nuts, then remove the fan assembly from the engine.
NOTESome vehicles use a spacer between the fan and the water pump pulley. If used, be sure to retain the spacer for installation.
- If necessary, the clutch may be removed from the fan by removing the attaching nuts or bolts (as applicable).
- If removed, install the fan to the clutch and secure using the fasteners. Tighten the fasteners to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
- If equipped, align the yellow paint mark on the fan clutch hub with the yellow paint mark on the water pump hub. This will help maintain a balanced fan assembly.
- Position the spacer (if used) and fan assembly to the water pump pulley and secure using the fasteners. Tighten the fasteners to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
- If removed for clearance, install the radiator.
- Install the upper fan shroud.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- If the radiator was removed, properly refill the engine cooling system.