Some starters are equipped with replaceable solenoids. In all cases, the starter must first be removed from the vehicle for access.
- Remove the starter and place it on a workbench.
- Remove the screw and the washer from the motor connector strap terminal.
- Remove the two solenoid retaining screws.
- Twist the solenoid housing clockwise to remove the flange key from the keyway in the housing and remove.
- Place the return spring on the plunger and place the solenoid body on the drive housing.
- Turn solenoid counterclockwise to engage the flange key.
- Install the two retaining screws, then install the screw and washer which secures the strap terminal.
- Install the starter on the vehicle.