Serpentine belts are automatically tensioned by a system of idler and tensioner pulleys, thus require no adjustment. The serpentine belt tension can be checked by simply observing the belt -acceptable belt wear range indicator- located on the tensioner spindle. If the belt does not meet the specified range, it must be replaced.
Belt Tension Inspection
Inspect the drive belt for signs of glazing or cracking. A glazed belt will be perfectly smooth from slippage, while a good belt will have a slight texture of fabric visible. Cracks will usually start at the inner edge of the belt and run outward. All worn or damaged drive belts should be replaced immediately.
Drive Belt Routings
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Install a 3 / 8 -inch drive wrench on the drive belt tensioner arm. It may be necessary to access the drive belt tensioner arm from underneath the vehicle.
- Rotate the arm counterclockwise.
- Remove the drive belt.
Slowly release the tension.
- Route the drive belt over all the pulleys except the tensioner arm.
- Observe drive belt routing for vehicles with and without air conditioning.
- Install a 3 / 8 -inch drive wrench on the drive belt tensioner arm and rotate the arm counterclockwise. It may be necessary to access the drive belt tensioner arm from underneath the vehicle.
- Install the drive belt over the tensioner arm pulley.
- Slowly release the tension.
- Confirm that the drive belt is properly routed.
- Inspect for the drive belt being properly installed on the pulleys.
- Each groove on the drive belt rests inside a matching groove in the pulley.
- Avoid mis-positioning the belt by one or more grooves.
- Confirm for the proper drive belt size and the correct drive belt routing by observing the location of the fix pointer and the index marks on the drive belt tensioner. With a new drive belt installed the fix pointer should align within the indentation on the drive belt tensioner. With a used drive belt installed the fix pointer should not align past the index mark.
- Connect the negative battery cable.