Removal & Installation
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Loosen the rocker arms and remove the pushrods.
NOTEIf valve train components, such as the rocker arms or pushrods, are to be reused, they must be tagged or arranged to insure installation in their original locations.
Unfasten the cylinder head bolts by loosening them in the reverse of the torque sequence, then carefully remove the cylinder head.
Carefully clean and inspect the cylinder head and the gasket mounting surfaces.
NOTEThe gasket surfaces on both the head and block must be clean of any foreign matter and free of nicks or heavy scratches. The cylinder bolt threads in the block and thread on the bolts must be cleaned (dirt will affect the bolt torque).
NOTEDO NOT apply sealer to composition steel-asbestos gaskets.
- If using a steel only gasket, apply a thin and even coat of sealer to both sides of the gaskets.
- Place a new gasket over the dowel pins with the bead or the words -This Side Up'' facing upward (as applicable), then carefully lower the cylinder head into position over the gasket and dowels.
Apply a coating of 12346004 or equivalent sealer to the threads of the cylinder head bolts, then thread the bolts into position until finger-tight.
Install the bolts in sequence to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). The bolts must then be tightened again in sequence in the following order:
- Short length bolts: (11, 7, 3, 2, 6, 10) 55 degrees.
- Medium length bolts: (12, 13) 65 degrees.
- Long length bolts: (1, 4, 8, 5, 9) 75 degrees.
Install or connect the following:
Pushrods, secure the rocker arms and adjust the valves
- Properly refill the engine cooling system.
- Run the engine to check for leaks.