- Clean the oil pump components in cleaning solvent.
- Dry the components with compressed air.
Inspect the oil pump for the following conditions:
Scoring on the top of the gears
- If the oil pump is to be reused, install a NEW oil pump pressure relief valve spring.
- During oil pump installation, install a NEW oil pump driveshaft retainer.
Removal & Installation
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEBe careful not to crack the retainer.
Inspect the pins (oil pump locator) for damage, and replace the pins if required.
- For the 2.2L engine, if the extension shaft was removed, heat the extension shaft retainer in hot water, then install the shaft and retainer to the oil pump. Be sure the retainer does not crack during installation.
- Ensure that the pump pickup tube is tight in the pump body. If the tube should come loose, oil pressure will be lost and oil starvation will occur. If the pickup tube is loose it should be replaced.
If the pump has been disassembled and is being replaced or for any reason oil has been removed, it must be primed. It can either be filled with oil before installing the cover plate and oil kept within the pump during handling or the entire pump cavity can be filled with petroleum jelly.
WARNINGIf the pump is not primed, the engine could be damaged upon start up.
NOTEDo not reuse the oil pump driveshaft retainer. During assembly, install a NEW oil pump driveshaft retainer.
Install or connect the following:
NOTEIf the oil pump does not build up oil pressure almost immediately, remove the pan and check for a loose oil pump-to-pickup tube attachment. If necessary dismantle the pump and pack the pump cavity with petroleum jelly.
Oil pump. Tighten oil pump/pickup tube retainer(s) to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm) for the 2.2L engine or to 65 ft. lbs. (90 Nm), for the 4.3L engine.
- Refill the crankcase.
Disable the ignition system; crank engine for approximately 10 seconds to aid in priming the oil pump and reducing the risk of engine damage.
WARNINGRunning the engine without measurable oil pressure will cause extensive damage.