Adjust the brakes as follows:
- Remove the knockout area in the backing plate, behind the adjuster assembly.
- Ensure the parking brake system is adjusted properly with no tension on the cables or parking brake lever. The tops of the shoes should be firmly seated against the upper spring retaining anchor, if not as specified, loosen the parking brake cables.
- Install the drum and turn the brake adjuster until the wheels can just be turned by hand.
- Then, back the adjuster off 24 notches. No brake drag should be felt after 12 notches.
- Install an adjusting hole plug in the backing plate to prevent dirt and moisture from entering.
Removal & Installation
Remove or disconnect the following:
Wheel and tire assembly
- Lubricate the contact points on the backing plate and the adjuster with lithium grease.
Install or connect the following:
Parking brake lever, adjusting screw and spring assembly
- Adjust the brakes.
- Readjust the parking brake cable as necessary.
- Install the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Refill the master cylinder and pump pedal to attain full brake pedal before Road-testing the vehicle.