Adjust the brakes as follows:
- Remove the knockout area in the backing plate, behind the adjuster assembly.
- Ensure the parking brake system is adjusted properly with no tension on the cables or parking brake lever. The tops of the shoes should be firmly seated against the upper spring retaining anchor, if not as specified, loosen the parking brake cables.
- Install the drum and turn the brake adjuster until the wheels can just be turned by hand.
- Then, back the adjuster off 24 notches. No brake drag should be felt after 12 notches.
- Install an adjusting hole plug in the backing plate to prevent dirt and moisture from entering.
Removal & Installation
Dust and dirt accumulating on brake parts during normal use may contain asbestos fibers from production or aftermarket brake linings. Breathing excessive concentrations of asbestos fibers can cause serious bodily harm. Exercise care when servicing brake parts. Do not sand or grind brake lining unless equipment used is designed to contain the dust residue. Do not clean brake parts with compressed air or by dry brushing. Cleaning should be done by dampening the brake components with a fine mist of water, then wiping the brake components clean with a dampened cloth. Dispose of cloth and all residue containing asbestos fibers in an impermeable container with the appropriate label. Follow practices prescribed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the handling, processing, and disposing of dust or debris that may contain asbestos fibers.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Wheel and tire assembly
- Lubricate the contact points on the backing plate and the adjuster with lithium grease.
Install or connect the following:
Parking brake lever, adjusting screw and spring assembly
- Adjust the brakes.
- Readjust the parking brake cable as necessary.
- Install the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Refill the master cylinder and pump pedal to attain full brake pedal before Road-testing the vehicle.