- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine cooling system.
- Relieve the belt tension and remove the accessory drive belts or the serpentine drive belt, as applicable.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEFor the hoses on some engines, removal may be easier if the hose is left attached until the pump is free from the block. Once the pump is removed from the engine, the pump may be pulled (giving a better grip and greater leverage) from the tight hose connection.
WARNINGNote the positions of all retainers as some engines will utilize different length fasteners in different locations and/or bolts and studs in different locations.
Upper fan shroud
Water pump retainers
Clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
NOTEThe water pumps on some of the earlier engines covered may have been installed using sealer only, no gasket, at the factory. If a gasket is supplied with the replacement part, it should be used. Otherwise, a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) bead of RTV sealer should be used around the sealing surface of the pump.
- Apply sealant to the water pump retainer threads.
Install or connect the following:
Water pump using a new gasket. Tighten the water pump retainers to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) for 2.2L engine or to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm) for 4.3L engine.
- Refill the engine cooling system.
Run the engine and check for leaks.