The sensor is made up of the two individual sensors within a single housing. Each sensor has a unique functionality to determine pedal position. The APP system along with the Electronic Control Module (ECM) is used to calculate and control the amount of acceleration and deceleration through fuel injector control.
Removal & Installation
- Remove the driver-s side knee bolster.
- Push down on the small tab and disengage the electrical connector.
- On 3.6L engines, remove the bolts securing the sensor, then remove the sensor. On 4.6L engines, remove the pedal bolts and remove the pedal and sensor assembly.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Install a 3 amp fused jumper wire between the 5-volt reference terminal of the APP sensor and 5 volts. Install a jumper wire between the low reference terminal and a ground.
- Sweep the sensor through the entire range while monitoring the voltage between the signal terminal and the low reference terminal with a digital multimeter. On 3.6L engines, the voltage should vary between 0.40-2.2 volts without any spikes or dropouts. On 4.6L engines, the voltage should vary between 0.40-4.5 volts without any spikes or dropouts.
- If the voltage is not within the specified range or is erratic, replace the accelerator pedal/sensor assembly.