Do not begin this removal procedure unless a new wheel hub retainer nut and a new retainer circlip are available. Once removed, these parts must not be reused during assembly. Their torque holding ability, or retention capability, is diminished during removal.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Pry the halfshaft away from the differential enough to install tool J-44394.
- Install tool J-44394 over the halfshaft and into the differential output seal to protect the seal.
- Remove the halfshaft from the vehicle.
- If reusing the halfshaft, remove and discard the retaining ring from the intermediate shaft ring groove.
- Install a new retainer circlip on the splined end of the shaft.
- Install tool J-44394 into the differential output shaft seal.
- Install the halfshaft into the differential until the splines are past the tool opening.
- Remove the tool from the differential seal.
- Continue to install the halfshaft until the retaining ring is fully seated.
- Verify that the shaft is engaged by pulling outward on the inner joint housing. The shaft should remain firmly engaged.
- Install the rear knuckle.
- Loosely install the NEW wheel axle nut.
- Hold the brake rotor from turning and tighten the axle nut to 118 ft. lbs. (160 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.