Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the rear propeller shaft.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the right halfshaft.
- Position a transmission jack under the differential.
- Remove the front differential-to-support mounting bolt.
- Remove the left and right rear differential-to-support mounting bolt. The left bolt cannot be completely removed due to interference with the underbody.
- Lower the jack until the mounting ear at the front of the differential clears the support attachment point.
- Pry the left halfshaft away from the differential enough to install tool J-44394.
- Install seal protector J-44394 over the halfshaft and into the differential output seal to protect the seal.
- Continue lowering the jack while disengaging the halfshaft.
- Remove the differential.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the differential mounting bolts to 129 ft. lbs. (175 Nm).
- Check the differential fluid level and fill as needed.