- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the transmission fluid
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Rotate the harmonic balancer center bolt clockwise ONLY to align the torque converter bolts with the access hole.
- Remove and discard the torque converter bolts.
- Remove the front differential heat shield and bracket, if equipped.
- Place a transmission jack under the transmission and lower the transmission enough to access the upper 2 transmission mounting bolts.
- Remove the 2 upper transmission mounting bolts.
- Raise the transmission so the engine and transmission are in the normal position, then place a jack under the engine to keep it level.
- Remove the lower transmission mounting bolts.
- Carefully pull the transmission back off the engine dowels, then lower the transmission away from the vehicle.
Torque converter bolts are self-locking and must be replaced with new bolts.
- Place the transaxle on a suitable jack and carefully raise it into position.
Install the lower transmission mounting bolts. Tighten the M10 bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Tighten the M12 bolts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
Lower the transmission and install the upper bolts. Tighten the M10 bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Tighten the M12 bolts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
Torque converter bolts and tighten to 46 ft. lbs. (63 Nm).
- Fill the transmission with fluid to the correct level.
- Adjust the shift control linkage.
- Start the vehicle and check for leaks and check the fluid level.