- Drain the cooling system to a level below the ECT sensor.
- Unplug the harness connector from the ECT sensor.
- Remove the ECT sensor from the engine.
Installation is the reverse of removal. If reusing the old sensor, coat the threads with GM sealant 12346004 or equivalent. New sensors are already coated; additional sealant is not needed. Tighten the sensor to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) on 3.6L engines or 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) on 4.6L engines.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn the ignition OFF .
- Remove the coolant temperature sensor electrical connector.
Remove the coolant temperature sensor.
- Install the coolant temperature sensor tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the coolant temperature sensor electrical connector.
- Inspect and fill the cooling system as necessary.