Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the front propeller shaft-to-drive pinion flange bolts and carefully slide the shaft away from the flange.
- Wire the propeller shaft up with mechanics wire.
- Install holding tool J-45012 to the pinion flange.
- While holding the tool rigid, remove the pinion flange nut.
- Remove the holding tool and install J-45019 to the pinion flange and tighten the tool to remove the pinion flange.
Pry the pinion seal from the seal opening.
- Lubricate the pinion flange sealing surface with synthetic gear oil.
- Using installer tool J-46262, install the new pinion seal.
- Install the drive pinion flange.
- Clean the pinion shaft threads and pinion nut.
- Apply Threadlock to two-thirds of the pinion shaft threads and allow it 10 minutes to dry.
- Install the pinion nut to the pinion flange.
- Install the holding tool and while holding the tool, tighten the nut to 178 ft. lbs. (241 Nm).
- Remove the holding tool.
- Install the propeller shaft to the drive pinion flange and tighten the bolts in sequence to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). See Transfer Case installation for tightening sequence.