This procedure requires the use of a steering wheel puller, special tool J1859-A and J42579 and a driver air bag removal tool, special tool J44298 or equivalents.
When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3.
- Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module using the following procedure:
- On the back side of the steering wheel are 3 openings for removing the steering wheel module.
Adjust and install J44298 into 1 of the holes.
NOTESeat the air bag removal tool all the way in to perform properly.
- Pull the handle of the air bag tool away from the instrument panel (I/P) releasing one of the spring loaded fasteners.
- Repeat this step for the other 2 fasteners.
Pull the inflatable restraint module gently away from the steering wheel.
CAUTIONA deployed dual stage inflator module will look the same whether one or both stages were used. Always assume a deployed dual stage inflator module has an active stage 2. Improper handling or servicing can activate the inflator module and cause personal injury.
NOTENote the wire routing positions on the steering wheel module connectors, the redundant control routing positions, and the horn wire routing positions for the correct assembly.
- Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) (4) and the electrical connector from the steering wheel module.
- Remove the horn contact lead (2) from the steering column cam tower.
- Remove the steering wheel module (5).
- Disconnect the steering column electrical connector.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
- Install J42578 and J1859-A to the steering wheel.
- Using J 42578 and J 1859-A , remove the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel retaining nut and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Connect the steering column electrical connector.
- Install the inflator module using the following procedure:
- Connect the horn contact lead into the steering column cam tower.
Connect the steering wheel module electrical connector and the CPA (4).
NOTEThis vehicle is equipped with dual stage air bags, you will find 2 connectors. Match the right color connector to the right color opening in the module. Route the steering wheel module wires, the redundant control wires, and the horn wires correctly.
- Align the steering wheel module fasteners to the steering column fastener holes.
- Push the steering wheel module firmly into the steering column in order to engage the fasteners.
- Enable the SIR system..