Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
- Remove the negative battery cable.
- Remove the lower spoiler sections.
- Insert 2 wedges, 83 9-5 238, between oil sump and subframe and between the gearbox and subframe.
Remove or disconnect the following:
MAF sensor with hosePower steering hose from holderRight-hand engine attachment with bracket and engine mountRetaining bolts from water pump pulley and power steering pump pulleyRelease tension on auxiliary drive beltWater pump pulley and power steering pump pulleyBelt tensioner and generator air intakeTiming coverCrankshaft pulley
MAF sensor with hose
- Zero the engine. The markings on the camshaft sprockets and timing cover should be aligned. Use adjustment tools for cam sprockets and timing belt, KM-800-20. The crankshaft markings should also be aligned. Fit locking tools, KM-800-1 and KM-800-2, for the camshaft sprockets and locking tool, KM-800-10, for the crankshaft.
- Remove the tensioning pulley and adjusting rollers. Use counterstay tool, 83 94 983, on the adjusting rollers.
- Mark the direction of rotation on the belt. The belt can also be marked with the respective camshaft markings and crankshaft marking to facilitate reinstallation.
- Remove locking tool from the crankshaft. Let camshaft locking tools remain.
- Remove the lower adjusting roller. Ensure the washer behind the roller is also removed.
- Remove the timing belt.
- Position the camshaft belt in the correct direction of rotation. Use adjustment tools for cam sprockets and timing belt, KM-800-30, to hold the belt in place.
- Fit the lower tensioning pulley loosely. Make sure the washer is in place.
- Lightly adjust the tensioning pulley by hand so the belt does not jump. Adjust counterclockwise.
- Make sure the markings on the camshaft belt and the corresponding markings on the camshaft sprockets and crankshaft are aligned. Remove the tools, KM-800-30.
- Install a locking tool, KM-800-10, and position a piece of camshaft belt, fitting a belt tension meter, 83 93 985, to measure the belt tension.
- Tighten the center bolts of the adjuster rollers lightly. Adjust the lower adjuster roller counterclockwise until a tension of 239-260 ft. lbs. (275-300 Nm) is obtained.
- Use tool 83 94 983 to tighten the adjuster roller bolt. Use a counterstay tool, 83 94 983. Check the belt tension again and adjust as necessary. Torque adjuster roller bolt to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Remove the belt tension meter and piece of the toothed belt.
- Ensure the adjusting nut on the upper adjusting roller rotates freely and is not tight. Adjust the tensioning pulley with a 5mm Allen key until the 2 lines on the tensioning pulley correspond with each other. Tighten tensioning pulley bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Remove the locking tool for camshaft sprockets. Fit tool KM-800-20. Then, adjust the upper adjusting roller counterclockwise with tool 83 94 983 until the markings on the camshaft sprocket are aligned with the corresponding markings on KM-800-20. Tighten camshaft sprocket bolts, using a counterstay, 83 94 983. Tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Remove KM-800-20 and the other locking tools.
- Rotate the engine 2 revolutions in the direction of rotation until just before the zero mark and fit a locking tool, KM-800-10, on the crankshaft.
- Carefully rotate the crankshaft in the direction of rotation of the engine until the arm is lying against the water pump and tighten it.
- Fit gauge tool KM-800-20 and ensure the markings on the camshaft sprocket are opposite the markings on the tool and that the edge of the belt is aligned with the edge of the sprocket.
- Raise the car and install the crankshaft pulley, torquing the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Lower the car.
Install or connect the following:
Timing cover, tightening to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm)Auxiliary drive belt tensioner and the generator air intakeWater pump pulley and the power steering pump pulley. Use Loctite, part No. 74 96 292. Do not tighten the bolts.Auxiliary drive beltWater pump pulley bolts to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm).Power steering pump pulley bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)Right-hand engine attachment with bracket and engine mount. Torque bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (63 Nm)Power steering hose in holderMAF sensor with hoseLower the engine by carefully removing the wedgesLower spoiler sections
Timing cover, tightening to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm)