REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner/induction tube assembly.
- Unplug the electrical connectors from the switch and disconnect the shifter cable from the control lever.
- For assembly purposes, note the position of the control lever shaft and manual lever, then remove the retaining nut from the control lever shaft and remove the manual lever. Be careful not to rotate the manual shift shaft excessively, or internal damage to the switch may occur.
- Remove the 2 switch retaining bolts, then remove the switch from the transaxle.
- Install the switch to the transaxle and loosely install the retaining bolts.
- Position the manual lever as noted during removal and install the nut. Tighten the nut to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Adjust the switch and tighten the retaining bolts.
- Install the cable to the control lever and adjust as necessary. Refer to the procedure which follows.
- Attach the switch's electrical connectors and install the air induction tube.
- Connect the negative battery cable and verify proper switch operation.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Place the transaxle selector in the D position. Use an ohmmeter or continuity tester to check for continuity across the switch terminals.
- If no continuity exists, loosen the bolts and rotate the switch in the direction of the engine; otherwise, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) may result.
- Tighten the switch bolts to 124 inch lbs. (14 Nm) and recheck continuity.
Connect the shift cable to the control lever of the switch. Perform the shift cable adjustment procedure as follows:
- Place the shifter in the P position.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disengage the control cable from the lever on the switch assembly.
- Place the control lever assembly in the P position by moving the lever clockwise until it clicks and cannot be moved any further.
- Release the cable adjustment locktab using a screwdriver to pry the tab upward, then lift the tab by hand.
- Connect the cable to the shift transaxle lever and install the retainer.
- Move the cable housing back and forth in the adjuster to note end-play.
- Center the cable housing in the middle of the end-play.
- Press in the locktab.
- Lower the vehicle and verify shift cable operation.
- Plug in the electrical connectors.
- Install the air cleaner/induction tube assembly.