REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Without Anti-Lock Brakes
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then unplug the fluid level sensor connector at the reservoir.
- Position a rag to catch any leaking fluid, then remove the hydraulic pipes from the master cylinder using a suitable wrench. Plug the pipes and cylinder bores to prevent fluid contamination or loss.
- Remove the 2 master cylinder retaining nuts, then remove the master cylinder from the vehicle.
- Install the master cylinder onto the brake booster studs, then install the retaining nuts and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Remove the protective caps or line plugs, then connect the hydraulic brake pipes to the master cylinder and tighten the fittings to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Properly bleed the hydraulic brake system. Refer to the procedure later in this section.
- Install the wiring harness connector to the brake fluid level sensor.
- Connect the negative battery cable and start the engine. Have an assistant depress the brake pedal while you check for leaks.
The master cylinder for ABS equipped vehicles is part of the ABS control assembly. Refer to the removal and installation procedure later in this section.