See Figure 1
- Disengage the wiring connector from the knock sensor and measure the resistance between the sensor and ground. It should be 3300-4500 ohms.
The correct sensor installation torque is 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm). Torque and sensor position are critical to proper operation.
- Reconnect the wiring. With the ignition switch ON , there should be 1.5-3.5 volts going to the sensor.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 2
The knock sensor is located in the rear center of the block, facing the firewall. The sensor is slightly above the oil pressure sender, and toward the driver' side of the vehicle.
- If equipped, properly disable the SIR system, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Squeeze the sides of the sensor's electrical connector and carefully pull it free of the sensor. Do not remove the connector by pulling on the wires, or damage may occur.
- Loosen and remove the sensor from the engine block using a suitable box wrench or socket.
- Install the sensor to the engine block and tighten to 133 inch lbs. (15 Nm).
- Push the electrical connector onto the sensor until a click is heard, then gently pull back to verify a firm connection.
- Remove the supports and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable and, if equipped, properly arm the SIR system.