REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then raise and support the vehicle safely using suitable jackstands.
- If equipped, remove the two front exhaust pipe to engine support bracket mounting fasteners.
- Remove the pipe-to-manifold nuts and lower the pipe.
- Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
When performing the next step, do NOT disconnect the refrigerant lines.
- If equipped, remove the air conditioning compressor and bracket from the engine, which will first require the removal of the serpentine belt, then position them aside.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector. If necessary, use a 19mm, 6-point crow's foot wrench to remove the oxygen sensor from the manifold.
- Remove the manifold retaining nuts and remove the manifold from the cylinder head. Remove and discard the old gaskets from the mating surfaces.
- Thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces, being careful not to score or damage the aluminum surface.
- Install the new gasket with the smooth side facing the manifold, then install the manifold and attaching nuts. Tighten the nuts in sequence to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) for the SOHC engine or to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm) for the DOHC engine.
- If replacing the oxygen sensor, coat the threads with nickel based anti-seize compound and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). Connect the oxygen sensor electrical connector.
- Install the air conditioning compressor and brackets. Tighten all fasteners except the front bracket-to-compressor fasteners to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Tighten the front bracket-to-compressor fasteners to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Raise and support the vehicle safely using jackstands, then install a new gasket onto the studs between the pipe and manifold.
- Connect the pipe and manifold, then tighten the fasteners in a crosswise pattern to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- If necessary, position the exhaust pipe to engine support bracket in place and install the two mounting fasteners. Tighten the mounting fasteners to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for exhaust leaks.