REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
Both engines use a one-piece round seal mounted in a seal carrier. The seal may be replaced with the carrier installed or removed from the engine. To replace the seal with the carrier installed:
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transaxle assembly from the vehicle. refer to Drive Train of this repair guide.
- As applicable, remove the clutch and flywheel assembly or the flexplate.
- Use the prying tangs provided in the carrier to remove the seal with a small suitable prybar and hammer. Be careful not to damage the crankshaft oil seal lip contact surface.
- Clean the carrier and crankshaft with solvent and a rag to prevent seal lip damage during installation. Check for scores or damage to the sealing surfaces.
- Apply a light coat of clean engine oil to the seal lip and the carrier inner diameter. Install using SA9121E or an equivalent seal installer. The tool is designed to prevent seal lip from rolling during installation and will seat the seal 0.04 in. (1mm) lower than the factory seal. Never tap on the seal or seal installer with a hammer.
- Install the flywheel or flexplate assembly.
- Install the transaxle assembly into the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.