GM power steering fluid specification 9985010 or equivalent must be used. Failure to use a fluid which meets these specifications may cause damage and fluid leaks.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The power steering system is equipped with a translucent reservoir, mounted on the power steering pump, which enables fluid level checking without removing the reservoir cap. The power steering fluid level should be between the FULL and ADD lines located on the side of the reservoir. The fluid level markings on the reservoir match the FULL and ADD indicators on the dipstick. To check the power steering fluid level using the reservoir cap/dipstick, perform the following steps:
- Center the front wheels to the straight-ahead position and turn the engine OFF .
- Allow a sufficient amount of time for the engine to cool. Also, be sure to clean the reservoir cap and surrounding area with a rag before removing the cap.
- Unscrew the cap from the power steering fluid reservoir and wipe the dipstick using a clean rag.
- Place the cap back on the reservoir and tighten it completely.
- Remove the cap from the reservoir again and check the fluid level, as indicated on the dipstick. The fluid level should read between the FULL and ADD lines on the dipstick. If necessary, add the proper fluid to reach the FULL mark.